ecryptfs_privileged_open(): when kthread-ecryptfs is required ?

Hi,

While trying to investigate why using ecryptfs is painfully sluggish,
I've find a piece of code that, I believed at first, wouldn't scale.

After adding some printk() there, I've found that it's not at all
called in my use case.
So I wonder: what's making  ecryptfs_privileged_open()[1] submit work
to ecryptfs-kthread thread running ecryptfs_threadfn()[2] ?

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/ecryptfs/kthread.c#n155

[2]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/ecryptfs/kthread.c#n56

BTW, I have a patch that remove this kernel thread as I think
credentials can be given to dentry_open(), so instead of running an
helper kthread, some privileged credentials can be given to
dentry_open() in the case ecryptfs_privileged_open() really need to
open a file read/write. But as I'm not able to verify it's working as
expected, I'm holding such trival patch.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA