Re: How best to crack wrapped-passphrase?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Artur Rataj <arturrataj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And if the passphrase is really mispelled, perhaps the best approach
> is to "mutate" it. I would wrote some simple looping program that
> would do some resonable insertions/deletions/replacements over the
> original passphrase and would use the result to brute-force the
> decryption. If there are some fixed time delays anywhere, removing
> them and re-compiling some kernel module or tool would likely be
> needed too.

I'm in the process of doing this now. I wrote a script to try various
mutations of the password I think it should be. See below. This ran
over the weekend, nearly melted my laptop, and didn't unwrap the
passphrase. Each iteration takes maybe half a second. At this rate
it's not feasible to try a brute force for all possible character
permutations. My next step is to create an optimised compiled version
that does this, and run it on a cloud instance somewhere. I happen to
have another wrapped-passphrase for a different encrypted directory. I
know that passphrase, and I can unwrap it (in the script below too).
Right now my compiled version cannot unwrap the control
wrapped-passhrase.

Thanks.

-Tom

#!/bin/bash

WRAPPED_PASSPHRASE="/path/to/wrapped-passphrase"
test ! -f "${WRAPPED_PASSPHRASE}" && echo "${WRAPPED_PASSPHRASE}" does
not exist. && exit 1

function unwrap() {
    echo "$@".
    printf "%s" "$@" | ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase