Re: Looking for volunteers to test and review ecryptfs integration with Android

On 2013-12-05 19:32:11, Catalin Ionita wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> I've been working for some time on a solution to integrate ecryptfs
> in Android. Due to some Android specifics and license problems I had
> to rewrite the userspace tools.

I really wish these problems would have been brought up on this list.
Fragmentation of the utilities is a bad thing. There's already enough of
it in ecryptfs-utils (mount.ecryptfs vs mount.ecryptfs_private) but now
there's an entirely new package, too.

> Also, for a nice finish touch, I have
> implemented Android user data encryption from top (including a minimal
> GUI) to bottom on a Nexus 4 running latest AOSP kitkat.

Very cool. Looking forward to checking it out.

> I'm looking for volunteers to test, review or contribute to Android
> userspace tools that I've built. The project is stored at
> https://github.com/catalinionita/Ecryptfs-Tools-for-Android

First, I'd like to explore merging the two code bases. Can you lay out
the reasons for writing from scratch?

As the kernel maintainer, I don't expect to have the bandwidth to update
and test both utils packages when kernel changes occur. It would be
great if ecryptfs-utils and efs-tools lived in the same tree (and shared
the majority of their code).

Tyler