Re: Ecryptfs over sshfs and timestamps

Sorry, the mail got sent incomplete, resending:

> Does this happen when only using sshfs (without eCryptfs mounted on
> top)?

No, cp --preserve=timestamps to sshfs alone works.

> Does this happen when only using eCryptfs (mounted locally on top of
> something like ext4)?

No, cp --preserve=timestamps to ecryptfs on top of ext4 works too.

> Nothing like that should be a problem from eCryptfs' standpoint. I have
> no idea about sshfs.

Well, the existence of the allow_root and allow_other sshfs options
suggest it somehow cares.

> Why didn't adding user,noauto to the fstab entry work for you? What
> error message did you see? Anything relevant in the system log?

For example, I just tried with the following line (the key '1' is
obviously just for testing):

/home/obelix/evil_host /home/obelix/bak ecryptfs
user,noauto,verbose,key=passphrase:passphrase_passwd=1 0 0

I got:

$ mount ./bak
Exiting. Unable to obtain passwd info

I didn't get anything written to /var/log/messages.log or dmesg.

If I run the mount as root, I get asked for the other parameters and
in the end it mounts.
I tried with a more comprehensive fstab line too:

/home/obelix/evil_host /home/obelix/bak ecryptfs
user,noauto,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,verbose,key=passphrase:passphrase_passwd=1,ecryptfs_passthrough,ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n
0 0

This mounts as root without asking any questions and fails as user
with the same error.