Re: ecryptfs & ssh authentication

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 at 03:06, Christian Kujau wrote:
> But I also wanted to login via SSH keys - so I configured openssh to use
> /etc/ssh/authorized_keys.%u as its AuthorizedKeysFile and I can login with
> public key authentication - so far, so good.
>
> For the first few logins the home directory is mounted - but then it
> stops and a few logins (and logouts) later I still can login via SSH
> keys - but the home directory just isn't mounted any more.

After a very helpful chat in #ecryptfs I was told that sshd will have no
way to unlock $HOME when SSH keys are being used, since no passphrase is
provided. When logging in locally (via "login") or with password
authentication, $HOME is unlocked.

> 3) login joe    -> logged in, $HOME is mounted -> OK
> 4) login via ssh, with keys/passwords a few times. After
>    some 5 or 10 logins the home directory is only mounted for
>    password logins. Logging in via key still succeeds, but
>    the home directory is not mounted any more

It was a bit of a mystery that it worked a few times and then suddenly
stopped. But it turned out that even after logging out (and $HOME being
unmounted), therer were leftover processes ("login" for local, "sshd" for
remote logins) which would not terminate until after a while. But
eventually these leftover process would clear and all what is left from
the logged-out user is a shared memory segment and a semaphore:

-----------
# ipcs

------ Shared Memory Segments --------
key        shmid      owner      perms      bytes      nattch     status
0x3c81b7f5 32768      joe        666        4096       0

------ Semaphore Arrays --------
key        semid      owner      perms      nsems
0x3c81b7f6 32768      joe        666        1

------ Message Queues --------
key        msqid
-----------

And while these things are still present, I could always login with
ssh-keys and $HOME would be unlocked & mounted every time (although it
should not!) and unmounted on logout.

As soon as I remove (ipcrm) the shm segment *and* the semaphore (I really
needed to remove both), this behaviour could not longer be reproduced and
I had to use password logins ("login" or ssh-with-passord) to unlock
(and mount) the $HOME directory - now it would work as expected!

@Tyler: Yes, this shm business might just be a coincidence and maybe it
        is. That's just what I'm currently seeing.

But all this was with ecryptfs-utils-83-4 on a Debian/squeeze system and
could NOT be reproduced any more with ecryptfs-utils-92-0ubuntu1
(Ubuntu/oneiric) - except for those leftover processes. I've opened
#903582[0] for those to be looked at.

So, this PowerPC system of mine was actually behaving correctly (it
eventually stopped unlocking my $HOME when ssh keys were used) while
the faster i386 machine is acting erroneously - who would've thought? :-)

Thanks for listening,
Christian.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/903582
--
BOFH excuse #82:

Yeah, yo mama dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files.