Re: latest pahole breaks libbpf CI and let's talk about staging

Em Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 02:52:57PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko escreveu:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
> <arnaldo.melo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Em Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 01:00:11PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko escreveu:

> > > I'd rather not :)
> >
> > Not even a "please update clang?"
> >

> It could be old clang, it could also be because BPF program wasn't
> built with BTF (i.e., you didn't specify -g during clang invocation),
> it could probably be due to some other problems as well.

Perhaps:

"Please look at http://bla.html/known-reasons-for-failure.html?

Perhaps we could even ask the Cilium people to take care of that since
they have such wonderful, detailed docs? 8-)

I understand that it is indeed difficult (albeit I find it valid/useful)
to give useful information about the myriad ways this can blown up, but
reducing to some degree the difficulties of testing libbpf, etc, is
something I think is important.

> I don't want libbpf to turn into a library that's constantly trying to
> guess possible problems. It will become a complete mess to maintain.
> And when it will still be wrong sometimes, causing more harm than
> being helpful. Especially for relatively uncommon problems like this.
>
> Those people who are trying to use features like BPF unstable helpers
> (calling whitelisted kernel functions), should know that they need
> Clang of some version and build with BTF. We have that also mentioned
> in selftest/bpf/README.rst. I'd rather not duplicate all that in
> libbpf code as well.

Perhaps then just say:

"Please run: cat tools/testing/selftest/bpf/README.rst"

8-)

This could be in the makefile, no need to bother libbpf with that.

You're working on this daily, some people do it from time to time, but
nah, I'll stop here, felt just that I had to say it fwiw.

- Arnaldo