Re: ANNOUNCE: pahole v1.16 (Fixes + BTF_KIND_FUNC)

On Monday 2019-12-16 22:02, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>> >Done, please let me know of any other suggestion,
>
>> What I mean is a top-level directory inside the tarball, like most (unix-ish)
>> software does, so that `tar -xf` does not fill up the current directory.
>
>Ah, ok, so trying using what the kernel uses for perf tarballs:
>
>export srctree=/home/acme/git/pahole
>export dwarves_tar=dwarves-$(echo $(pahole --version) | cut -c2-)
>git --git-dir=${srctree}/.git archive --prefix=${dwarves_tar}/ HEAD^{tree} $(cd ${srctree}; echo $(cat MANIFEST)) -o ${dwarves_tar}.tar
>
>Please take a look at:
>
>http://vger.kernel.org/~acme/pahole/dwarves-1.16.tar.xz

Yes that looks fine, thank you.

>I think we should have both, i.e. a separate directory because we have
>at least the compressed tarball + the signature file and the top level
>directory, that should've be as you suggest since the dawn of time, my
>bad.

>From my experience, transferring one directory listing (i.e. index only) with
1000 entries is almost always faster than one directory listing of 340 entries
and another 340 listings of 3 files each, for both spinning rust and
electric storage.

Large directories only get unwieldly after 1000ish entries IMO,
because then the amount of information becomes more than what one is looking
for. (I base this upon the slight discontent I have whenever I access
my distro's RPM directory index, which is currently 1 dir for ~20000 files
and takes 2.5s to hot-load, more if cold, over http. Wish they used an a-z
split.)

So if you need a recommendation and are willing to take mine, no
separate subdirs on download servers.