Formatting "drivers" was Re: Can't persuade pahole to see through forward declarations

Em Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:28:20PM -0700, Zack Weinberg escreveu:

> > > This is probably because it was configured out.  I am working with
> > > a development build, which has all sorts of extra debugging
> > > mechanisms configured in.
> >
> > OK, can you please send me a multi-cu file that has the above
> > definitions so that I can use it as the test case for this new
> > feature?
>
> It's 42MB bzipped.  You can download it from
> http://www.owlfolio.org/libgklayout.so.bz2 but I'm going to delete it
> after a week.

I'm downloading it now

> [...]
> > > structure/class names to -C (or have a separate option that reads a
> > > list from a file).  The full analysis I'm doing needs to look at
> > > 200 or so of the thousands of classes in xulrunner; currently I
> > > need to run pahole once for each, which is really slow.
> >
> > Look at the last commit :-)
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/acme/pahole.git;a=commitdiff;h=519d1d3d9691ca94f458853c4710d501fb33720f
>
> Perfect, thanks.
>
> > > Also, I wonder if you could see your way clear to adding an
> > > alternative output format that is easily machine-parseable?
> > > Approximation-to-C-source format is nice for humans but I've spent
> > > the past day and a bit writing a sed script to turn it into
> > > something that I can do programmed analysis on and it was no fun.
> >
> > How would it look like?
>
> For the analysis I'm doing, the ideal format would be very flat and
> line-oriented.  Consider this structure definition:
>
> struct Foo {
>   union {
>     struct { int x; int y; } a;
>     struct { float z; short y; } b;
>     double c;
>     void* d;
>   } u;
>   char n[4];
>   void (*ptr)(int);
>   void (*ptrs[2])(int);
>   int bf:12;
>   short bg:3;
> };
>
> I would like to get something like this (assuming LP64):
>
> name|type|bytes|bits|byteoff|bitoff|cacheline
> Foo|struct Foo|48|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u|union|8|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.a|struct|8|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.a.x|int|4|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.a.y|int|4|0|4|0|0
> Foo.u.b|struct|8|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.b.z|float|4|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.b.y|short int|2|0|4|0|0
> Foo.u.b.<pad>|pad|2|0|6|0|0
> Foo.u.c|double|8|0|0|0|0
> Foo.u.d|void *|8|0|0|0|0
> Foo.n|char[4]|4|0|8|0|0
> Foo.<hole1>|pad|4|0|12|0|0
> Foo.ptr|void(*)(int)|8|0|16|0|0
> Foo.ptrs|void(*[2])(int)|16|0|24|0|0
> Foo.bf|int|1|4|40|0|0
> Foo.bg|short int|0|3|41|4|0
> Foo.<pad>|pad|6|1|41|7|0
>
> I suggest "|" for the field separator because I'm pretty sure it can't
> appear in a C/C++ "abstract declaration" (i.e. the "type" field).  Tabs
> are visually confusable with the spaces that you do occasionally need
> in an abstract declaration.
>
> The key properties of this are:
>
>  - There is only one kind of record to process.
>  - Each line can be examined in isolation, if you don't care about the
>    nesting structure.
>  - You do not have to process C declaration syntax to find the name of
>    each field.
>  - There is never missing data; in many cases pahole currently will
>    omit the offset in its annotation of a full nested structure,
>    for instance, which is fine for humans but really bad for machine

Annoying "simplification", I'll put the offset there explicitely, just
worried that Ilpo may be using it in his sed scripts... Ilpo?

>  - Padding at the end of a structure is explicit, always.  (The current
>    pahole output doesn't call it out at all for the 'b' struct inside
>    the union.)

This one is a bug, I'll fix it.

>  - Bitfields are not special: the structure is treated as a linear
>    array of bits, within which every field starts at bit
>    (byteoff*8+bitoff) and continues for (bytes*8+bits) bits.
>    The bitoff and bits columns are always in the range 0..7.
>    This saves some fiddly math.

Well, here the CTFication of the core will give a dividend :-) We
already treat everything as bit_offsets, see struct class_member.

My first reaction is that dwarf_fprintf would need a "fprintf_ops"
struct and that then the current set of functions called from
tag__fprintf would be the first formatter, and the second one that will
just do as you suggest.

I'll investigate that idea.

- Arnaldo