kms and VT switch

Hello,

probably most of linux users would not use anything more than X
windows for graphical interface. I think this was always both a cause
and a consequence. Having X controlling the hardware, nobody else
could do the same without potentially even crashing the system.

Kms/drm are more than welcome. I discovered recently that
unfortunately one specific thing did not change under kms/drm. And
this is the fact that if one application has control over kms, nobody
else can do that. I find it wrong. If you run Xwindows, you cannot do
kms control from another application. This means again that non-X
applications will have again smaller chance to "penetrate" our
desktops.

I would find it more appropriate to have minimal policy in the kernel,
and let VT switch change the "ownership" of the kms. One would be able
to start several kms applications under different VT's. The active VT
will activelly control kms, whereas non active VT's kms related
commands would be ignored.

please tell me your opinion

rgrds,
mobi phil

being mobile, but including technology
http://mobiphil.com

[Index of Archives]     [Linux DRI Development]     [Linux Intel Graphics]     [Linux AMD Graphics]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Waterfalls]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [XFree86]     [Linux Media]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [XFree86]