Re: Should drm's modetest work when an X server is running?

Hi

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Daniel Kurtz <djkurtz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear dri developers,
>
> Should libdrm's modetest work when an X server is running?
> Should drmOpen(name, NULL) succeed when the drm device is already open?
> Is "name" passed to drmOpen() the "drm" name returned by drmGetVersion()?
> Or, is it the the kernel driver/module name?

Don't use drmOpen(). Seriously, there's no reason for it. There is
open(), use it, don't bother with all that legacy. And if legacy code
uses drmOpen(), it's really easy to fix it to just use plain open().
The wrappers made sense when we had UMS or maybe with xf86-video
drivers. But for anything else, just use udev to enumerate the
drm-devices and then open() the node. If you don't like udev, iterate
over /dev/dri/.

Regarding modetest: yes, it's supposed to work while an xserver is
running, as long as you run it on a separate VT. Furthermore, the
drivers obviously need to be KMS drivers for both, otherwise behavior
is undefined, anyway. However, drmOpen() is known to fail in such
situations, so my recommendation is to fix modetest. I doubt that we
will revert kernel changes for /proc just to make drmOpen() work in
multi-gfx systems again.

Thanks
David