Re: [RFR 2/2] drm/panel: Add simple panel support

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 02:23:32PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> On Thursday 17 October 2013 14:06:47 Thierry Reding wrote:

> > > I'm no DSI expert, but I know enough about it to be sure that Tomi will
> > > disagree. DSI panels can have complex power sequences that require the
> > > input stream to be finely controlled (for instance it might require a
> > > clock without video frames for some time, switch a GPIO or regulator,
> > > send a command to the panel, and then only get video frames). For that
> > > reason all developers I've talked to who have an in-depth knowledge of
> > > DSI and DSI panels told me that the panel needs to control the video bus,
> > > and request the video source to start/stop the video stream.
> >
> > Oh, I'm very well aware of the various flavours of funkiness that DSI
> > panels come in. But it's wrong to say that the panel needs to control
> > the video bus. There's simply no way that a panel can actually do that.
> > It is true, however, that in order to make this work in a maintainable
> > fashion, the DSI panel *driver* may need to control the DSI bus. That's
> > an entirely different story.
>
> Sure, but I don't think that's really related to the DT bindings. We don't
> have to model every electrical signal in a detailed way that matches the
> direction of the electrons flow :-) What we need to model is a connection
> between a display controller and a panel (possibly with a direction). What I'd
> like to do is to express that link in a way that can also express more complex
> pipeline topologies. I don't want to make it overly complex, I had hoped that
> my DT bindings proposal would be a good approach as it's both generic and
> still pretty simple.

I get that, and for what it's worth I do think that your proposal looks
simple enough and if it can solve any of the problem you're facing with
CDF, then that's great.

But I don't think we should force inclusion of these properties on every
panel, even if it doesn't use any of the graph functionality. Is there
any problem with making them optional?

Thierry