Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] vmwgfx crashes with command buffer error after update

Am 16.08.24 um 20:56 schrieb Zack Rusin:

Thanks! I see. I have a patch out that fixes it, but in general I
think those vm's with 16mb for graphics are very risky and I'd suggest
bumping them to at least 32mb. The vram portion can stay at 16mb, but
the graphicsMemoryKB can be safely set to fourth or even half of
memsize (in your config 256mb or even 512mb), which will make the vm's
a lot safer and allow actual ui usage because with console being
pinned we just don't have a lot of wiggle room otherwise and we just
can't migrate pinned framebuffers.
The patch that "regressed" this makes dumb buffers surface that
actually respect pinning, but as long as you don't have gpu host side
things will be ok. Otherwise we can't make a config with 16mb of
available graphics memory and graphics acceleration work.

Thanks for the looking into it and fixing it.
The explanation with details is much appreciated and I will keep your suggestions in mind.
I just used the VMware defaults for Linux 6.x+ in ESXi 8, maybe they should be bumped up a little bit.

Best,
-ap