Re: State of affairs with Ilitek 9341 support

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 at 21:19, Andy Shevchenko
<andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > was first hoping for.
> >
> > I was aware that there was a challenge going from fbtft to DRM because
> > in fbtft there is support for all panel setups using the <init>
> > property, but in DRM every panel needed support in a driver. So I
> > started to look at adding Device Tree properties to describe the setup
> > for one controller. This would make it easy to describe a new panel in
> > Device Tree for a supported controller. Maxime Ripard came up with the
> > idea to have the controller initialisation commands in a firmware file
> > which meant that we could get away with having just one driver for all
> > MIPI DBI SPI panels (which is the vast majority of these SPI pixel
> > upload panels).
> >
> > This meant that SPI support could be removed from all the MIPI DBI
> > compatible controllers in fbtft
>
> I believe it can't. Otherwise we _must_ provide the DT (device property)
> parser that uses what is provided for fbtft SPI to be enabled in the other
> driver.
>
> > since there's now a solution for them in
> > DRM. The drivers themselves must stay since they also have parallel bus
> > support which is lacking in DRM. My plan was to wait for panel-mipi-dbi
> > to hit an LTS and then either prepare patches to remove MIPI DBI SPI
> > support from fbtft or at least send an email to staging about the new
> > driver.
>
> > Unfortunately my health problems got worse and many plans went
> > out the window.
>
> Oh, sad to hear this, hope you will get better sooner than later!
>
> > ILI9341 DRM drivers
> >
> > - drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/mi0283qt.c
> >   This was the first driver added for the MI0283QT panel series
> >
> > - drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/ili9341.c
> >   Later ili9341 based panels was decided to be added to a controller
> >   specific driver.
>
> Why was it appeared in the first place? :-(
>
> > - drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/panel-mipi-dbi.c
> >   Generic MIPI DBI SPI driver that loads init commands from a firmware
> >   file. It uses of_property_read_string_index() and
> >   of_get_drm_panel_display_mode(). I don't know if it's possible to make
> >   device_property_*() versions of those.
>
> Everything like this is possible, just somebody needs to fulfill that.
> And as I said, new OF-centric code, has to be NAKed by default.
>
> > - drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-ilitek-ili9341.c
> >   This driver supports the MIPI DPI (RGB) interface on the controller.
> >   Controller init is done over MIPI DBI SPI. The driver does also for
> >   some reason support the same panel as the ili9341.c driver does.
> >   So 2 drivers for the same panel...
> >   Sidenote: It is possible to make a generic panel-mipi-dpi.c driver for
> >   panels that use DPI for pixels and DBI for init loaded from a firmware
> >   file.
>
> I wonder who has enough experience and time to at least point out or do
> something about this...
>
> At least we can start combining the two in tinydrm, to reduce the variety.

I wrote drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-ilitek-ili9341.c to support ili9341
on stm32f429-disco board via dbi or dpi.
https://www.st.com/resource/en/schematic_pack/mb1075-f429i-c01_schematic.pdf

As one driver for one panel reason, so porting the mipi_dbi code and
dts binding from tiny/ili9341.c
It's true confused two driver for one panel in current kernel.
I can remove the mipi_dbi code from panel-ilitek-ili9341.c or do something else.

Anyway, I'd like to rewrite it based on the agreement.