Re: [RFC 3/4] DRM: add OF support for Dove DRM driver

On 05/18/2013 07:45 PM, Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2013 19:12:18 +0200
Sebastian Hesselbarth<sebastian.hesselbarth@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
This adds OF support for the Dove DRM driver recently posted as RFC by
Russell King.

Jean-Francois,

one thing first: It is an RFC! It is to allow you to _test_ rmk's driver
on DT. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will comment on your questions but that all can change for a full
patch set of rmk, you, or me.

The "video-card" node combines all devices that will be available and
active on a specific Dove board. As you may have noticed about rmk's
driver, it is registering crtcs from IORESOURCE_MEM passed with the
platform_device.

To match with this approach we _have to_ recreate that platform_device
from what we see on DT. On DT each bus node gets registered as its own
platform_device. So in the video-card driver we look for node we know
of and put together a platform_device for rmk's driver. We cannot hook
DT upon either an lcd node nor dcon node as they might be disabled and
the driver will get called multiple times.

It seems we are moving backwards:
- what about the display controller?

That would be part of probing DT nodes above. I did not take care of
that because rmk doesn't support dcon for now.

- how do you clone the lcd 0 output to the port B?

Pass properties on video-card node or even better let dcon driver
take care of it when it sees a video-card with more than one crtc.

- what occurs when the si5351 and the tda998x are modules?

Touche, forgot that part. Feel free to add module support to the
RFC.

My driver had the same layout as Russell's when I proposed it to you
and when you insisted to handle the 2 LCDs and the 2 ports as one card.

I still insist to handle 2 LCDs and DCON.

I spent 2 months to have a nice design and you put it to garbage!
I am not happy...

I put nothing to garbage. _You_ also agreed to merge with rmk's driver!
We can now put in all features we implemented differently
_step-by-step_.

Merging the drivers starts with adding support for DT - that is what
I provided. You know the HW better than me, why don't you start picking
features from your driver and add them in rmk's driver?

Sebastian