Re: [pull] tilcdc-next for 3.9

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomba@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2013-02-18 01:02, Rob Clark wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Here is pull request for tilcdc drm driver..  it also includes a
>> handful of dependent patches from me, plus a couple fixes from Daniel
>> Vetter which haven't showed up yet in drm-next.
>
> Why is the TFP410 driver integrated into the tilcdc, but the TDA998x is
> a generic driver?

the way we have tfp410 wired up (not using i2c) doesn't fit too nicely
into the current drm i2c-encoder-slave mechanism.. something which I
expect to be addressed with CDF

> I think the DT bindings do not match the DT guidelines. For example,
> compatible = "tilcdc,slave" should be "ti,tilcdc,slave". And TI specific
> properties should also be prepended with "ti,".

oh, ok, well I guess that is simple enough to change

> Who is going to maintain this now that you're no longer in TI? I presume
> you may do some small stuff, but I think this driver needs quite a lot
> of further development in the future.

I still have a beaglebone and some display "capes", but probably also
someone from TI should get a bit familiar with this driver.. although
the main changes I anticipate are CDF.  I kind of think this driver
should make a nice simple user for CDF because the display controller
block is so simple.

> But my main concern for this series is still that it creates custom
> panel stuff, and adds DT bindings for them. Which means we need to
> support those custom DT bindings in the future, even though it's quite
> sure that CDF should be used also for this driver, changing the bindings.

Well, I didn't actually add the dts file parts, because for the main
user (beaglebone board), how the dts files are setup depends on
whether you have the (still out of tree) "not-capebus" patch series.
So I'm not going to get too hung up on supporting current DT bindings
in the future when we have something better.  But I needed something
for now, because CDF doesn't exist yet.