Re: [RFC v2 0/5] Common Display Framework

On 01/08/2013 09:18 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
On Thursday 27 December 2012 15:43:34 Tomasz Figa wrote:
>  On Monday 24 of December 2012 15:12:28 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>  >  On Friday 21 December 2012 11:00:52 Tomasz Figa wrote:
>  >  >  On Tuesday 18 of December 2012 08:31:30 Vikas Sajjan wrote:
>  >  >  >  On 17 December 2012 20:55, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>  >  >  >  >  Hi Vikas,
>  >  >  >  >  delays should be much shorter.
>  >  >  >  >  >  Hi Laurent,
>  >  >  >  >  >  what I found is that, the exynos display controller is MIPI DSI
>  >  >  >  >  >  based controller.
>  >  >  >  >  >  based Display controller.
>  >  >  >  >  >  based display controller? basically I wanted to know, how to go
>  >  >  >  >  >  about porting CDF for such kind of display controller.
>  >  >  >  >  that I don't have any MIPI DSI hardware to write and test the code
>  >  >  >  >  with:-)
>  >  >  >  >  think the existing MIPI DBI code could be used as a base, so the
>  >  >  >  >  implementation shouldn't be too high.
>  >  >  >  >  MIPI DSI support in CDF.
>  >  >  >  §  mipi_dsi_register_device(mpi_device) (will be called mach-xxx-dt.c
>  >  >  >  file )
>  >  >  >  §  mipi_dsi_register_driver(mipi_driver, bus ops) (will be called
>  >  >  >  from platform specific init driver call )
>  >  >  >  ·    bus ops will be
>  >  >  >  o   read data
>  >  >  >  o   write data
>  >  >  >  o   write command
>  >  >  >  §  MIPI DSI will be registered as bus_register()
>  >  >  >  will initialize the MIPI DSI HW IP.
>  >  >  >  the panel device (device_add() ) to kernel and register the display
>  >  >  >  entity with its control and  video ops with CDF.
>  >  >  s6e8ax0 LCD driver to use the v2 RFC of Common Display Framework. I
>  >  >  have most of the work done, I have just to solve several remaining
>  >  >  problems.
>  >  interested (and I think Tomi Valkeinen would be as well) in looking at
>  >  the DSI operations you expose to DSI sinks (panels, transceivers, ...).
> > Well, I'm afraid this might be little below your expectations, but here's
>  an initial RFC of the part defining just the DSI bus. I need a bit more
>  time for patches for Exynos MIPI DSI master and s6e8ax0 LCD.
No worries. I was particularly interested in the DSI operations you needed to
export, they seem pretty simple. Thank you for sharing the code.

FYI,
here is STE "DSI API":
http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=blob;f=include/video/mcde.h;h=499ce5cfecc9ad77593e761cdcc1624502f28432;hb=HEAD#l361

But it is not perfect. After a couple of products we realized that most panel drivers want an easy way to send a bunch of init commands in one go. So I think it should be an op for sending an array of commands at once. Something like

struct dsi_cmd {
    enum mipi_pkt_type type; /* MIPI DSI, DCS, SetPacketLen, ... */
    u8 cmd;
    int dataLen;
    u8 *data;
}
struct dsi_ops {
    int dsi_write(source, int num_cmds, struct dsi_cmd *cmds);
}

The rest of "DSI write API" could be made helpers on top of this one op. This grouping also allows driver to describe intent to send a bunch of commands together which might be of interest with mode set (if you need to synchronize a bunch of commands with a mode set, like setting smart panel rotation in synch with new framebuffer in dsi video mode).

I also looked at the video source in Tomi's git tree (http://gitorious.org/linux-omap-dss2/linux/blobs/work/dss-dev-model-cdf/include/video/display.h). I think I would prefer a single "setup" op taking a "struct dsi_config" as argument. Then each DSI formatter/encoder driver could decide best way to set that up. We have something similar at http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=blob;f=include/video/mcde.h;h=499ce5cfecc9ad77593e761cdcc1624502f28432;hb=HEAD#l118

And I think I still prefer the dsi_bus in favor of the abstract video source. It just looks like a home made bus with bus-ops ... can't you do something similar using the normal driver framework? enable/disable looks like suspend/resume, register/unregister_vid_src is like bus_(un)register_device, ... the video source anyway seems unattached to the panel stuff with the find_video_source call.

/BR
/Marcus