Re: radeon CS parser refactoring

[SNIP]

On 05.01.2013 00:42, Alex Deucher wrote:
R6xx and r7xx are really all you need to worry about in this case.
R1xx-r5xx UMS uses a different kernel interface for command submission
and evergreen and later don't have UMS drm support.  UMS r6xx/r7xx
support used the same kernel interface for command submission but the
kernel side was much simpler.  Additionally, UMS requires the old
non-gallium 3D drivers.  It sounds like some other change in the ddx
broke UMS support for r6xx/r7xx.  UMS support was dropped for
xf86-video-ati 7.0.0, so we mostly want to try and avoid breaking
things for users with ancient userspace stacks and a new kernel.  That
said, I'm not sure there are that many UMS users left.

Alex

Wouldn't it be a good idea to finally get ride of the old UMS stuff inside the kernel driver?

Maybe making it a config option with default N as first step and then wait for a year or two and see if anybody starts complaining?

Christian.