Re: MIPI DSI, DBI, and tinydrm drivers

Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 23:24, Noralf Trønnes <noralf@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Den 24.05.2020 22.42, skrev Paul Cercueil:

Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 22:14, Noralf Trønnes <noralf@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

 Den 24.05.2020 21.54, skrev Paul Cercueil:
  Hi Noralf,

Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 19:46, Noralf Trønnes <noralf@xxxxxxxxxxx> a
 écrit :

  Den 24.05.2020 18.13, skrev Paul Cercueil:
   Hi list,

I'd like to open a discussion about the current support of MIPI
 DSI and
   DBI panels.

Both are standards from the MIPI alliance, both are communication
   protocols between a LCD controller and a LCD panel, they
 generally both
use the same commands (DCS), the main difference is that DSI is
 serial
   and DBI is generally parallel.

In the kernel right now, DSI is pretty well implemented. All the infrastucture to register a DSI host, DSI device etc. is there. DSI panels are implemented as regular drm_panel instances, and their
  drivers
go through the DSI API to communicate with the panel, which makes
 them
   independent of the DSI host driver.

   DBI, on the other hand, does not have any of this. All (?) DBI
 panels
are implemented as tinydrm drivers, which make them impossible to
 use
with regular DRM drivers. Writing a standard drm_panel driver is impossible, as there is no concept of host and device. All these
  tinydrm
drivers register their own DBI host as they all do DBI over SPI.

I think this needs a good cleanup. Given that DSI and DBI are so similar, it would probably make sense to fuse DBI support into the current DSI code, as trying to update DBI would result in a lot
 of code
being duplicated. With the proper host/device registration mechanism from DSI code, it would be possible to turn most of the tinydrm
 drivers
   into regular drm_panel drivers.

The problem then is that these should still be available as tinydrm drivers. If the DSI/DBI panels can somehow register a .update_fb() callback, it would make it possible to have a panel-agnostic tinydrm driver, which would then probably open a lot of doors, and help a
  lot to
   clean the mess.

   I think I can help with that, I just need some guidance - I am
 fishing
   in exotic seas here.

   Thoughts, comments, are very welcome.

  I did look at this a few months back:

  drm/mipi-dbi: Support panel drivers

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2019-August/228966.html

The problem with DBI is that it has reused other busses which means we don't have DBI drivers, we have SPI drivers instead (6800/8080 is not avail. as busses in Linux yet). DSI and DPI on the other hand has dedicated hw controller drivers not shared with other subsystems.

  I don't think that should be much of a problem. You could have a
 DBI/SPI
bridge, that wraps a SPI device into a DBI host, for instance. The
 panel
drivers would just use the DBI API without having to know what's done
  behind the scene.

This will be a bridge implemented in software, are we allowed to have software devices in the Device Tree? I though it was just allowed to
 describe hardware.

It wouldn't appear in devicetree. If the panel is connected over SPI,
 then DBI is just the protocol it uses.

How do you attach a panel to the DBI device if it doesn't appear in DT?

When probed from a DBI host controller, the panel's devicetree binding would look like this:

&dbi_host {

   panel {
       compatible = "my,dbi-device";
   };
};

When probed from SPI it would appear in DT like this:

&spi {

   panel@0 {
       reg = <0>;
       compatible = "my,dbi-device-spi";
   };
};

In that case, the driver would create a SPI-DBI bridge, but that is an implementation detail that doesn't belong in devicetree.

Another problem is that the DBI panel uses SPI both for framebuffer
upload and controller initialization. How shall this be handled when the
panel driver needs SPI for init and the DBI bridge needs SPI for frame
upload?

Does the panel driver need SPI for init? I don't think so. It needs to send DBI commands over SPI, yes. Only the DBI-SPI bridge would control the SPI device.

-Paul

If probed as a SPI device driver, the panel's spi_driver would register
 an instance of the DBI/SPI host driver, then register itself as a
dbi_driver. If probed from a DBI host it would just register itself as a
 dbi_driver.

 -Paul

  My initial tinydrm work used drm_panel, but I was not allowed to
 use it
  (at least not the way I had done it).

  Noralf.

   Cheers,