Re: RFC: Removal of some mutexes from the radeon driver

On 11.05.2012 12:12, Dave Airlie wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Christian König
<deathsimple@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi everybody,

well the following patches remove the cs and vram mutex from the radeon driver
and so are something very experimental. The first three just move what I know
to be still critical into the protection of the ring mutex, and the other two
actually remove the mutexs.

Interestingly it still survives a couple of hours running the following script:

while true
do
        for (( x = 10, y = 45, i = 0; $i<  144; i = $i + 1 ))
        do
                glxgears -geometry 100x100+$x+$y>  /dev/null 2>&1&
                x=$(expr $x + 120)
                if [ $x -gt 1920 ]
                then
                        x=10
                        y=$(expr $y + 110)
                fi
        done

        sleep 30

        killall glxgears
done

So the mutexes doesn't seem to protected something so critical and I'm
wondering why we still have them so widely locked.

Cheers,
Christian.

PS: I'm away for the next week or so don't expect any response soon.
The vram mutex is to block access to the VRAM during reclocking.

So if you reclocks a lot while running stuff you might notice.

Ah, thx for that info it suddenly starts to make sense. Also not using an APU for testing might also help triggering the problem, but in turn that means we can avoid taking that lock on APUs.

Cheers,
Christian.