any reason drmDropMaster() has to be root?

Hi Everyone,

I am referring to this line in drm_drv.c in drm module:

DRM_IOCTL_DEF(DRM_IOCTL_DROP_MASTER, drm_dropmaster_ioctl, DRM_ROOT_ONLY)

I can understand that set_master requires root, but if the process is already master and just want to drop itself from master, I don't see any point why this has to be root. Could anyone clarify this? If not, I suggest to change drop_master to DRM_AUTH only.

My use case is like this: I have an application which will start before X starts, and this app will internally call drmOpen(). Since it's the first app to open the gpu it automatically becomes master, but then X won't start afterwards because X requires master for KMS to work. So in the application I must call drmDropMaster() after drmOpen(), but then I have to run the application as root just in order to drop master.

Thanks in advanced.

Vic