Re: Armada DRM: bridge with componentized devices

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 03:26:44PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 10:31 AM Russell King - ARM Linux
> > <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > So is the regulator support and the use of it being proposed for the CCF
> > > all going against the design of device links?  In both those cases,
> > > device links _can_ be created while the supplier is still in the probe
> > > function by a consumer finding the resource.
> > >
> > > This seems fragile by design.
> >
> > Rafael, can you confirm?
>
> Let me quote from
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/driver-api/device_link.html :
>
> "When driver presence on the supplier is irrelevant and only correct
> suspend/resume and shutdown ordering is needed, the device link may
> simply be set up with the DL_FLAG_STATELESS flag. In other words,
> enforcing driver presence on the supplier is optional."
>
> Which is exactly the case at hand here AFAICS.

That is not what we're discussing.  We are discussing using device
links to solve the problem with DRM bridges which may be removed
today from DRM without the rest of the DRM system being aware.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up