Re: Armada DRM: bridge with componentized devices

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:13 PM Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:45:32AM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 01:11:47PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > This is the long-standing problem with the conflict between bridge
> > > support and component support, and I'm not sure that there is really
> > > any answer to it.
> > >
> > > I've gone into the details of the two several times on the list,
> > > particularly about the short-comings of the bridge approach, but it
> > > seems no one cares to fix those short-comings.
> > >
> > > You are re-identifying some of the issues that I've already pointed
> > > out - such as what happens to DRM drives when the bridge driver is
> > > unbound (it's really not about modules being unloaded, and the problem
> > > can't be solved by taking a module reference count - all that the
> > > module reference count does is ensure that the module doesn't go
> > > away unexpected, there is no way to ensure that the device isn't
> > > unbound.)
> > >
> > > The issue of unbinding is precisely the issue which the component
> > > support was created to solve - but everyone seems to prefer the buggy
> > > bridge approach, and no one seems willing to do anything about the
> > > bugs or even acknowledge that it's a problem.  It's strange - if one
> > > identifies bugs that result in kernel oops in other kernel subsystems,
> > > one is generally taken seriously and the problem is solved.
> >
> > Unbinding is really not the most important feature, especially for SoC. If
> > you feel different, working together with others, getting some agreement,
> > getting the patches reviewed and finding someone to get them merged is
> > very much appreciated. But just complaining won't move this forward.
>
> Sorry, I disagree.  Unbinding is important if the current state results
> in crashes and oops - the lack of unbinding support in bridge makes it
> harder to develop without constantly rebooting the target machine.
>
> If all you care about is the end user who probably never removes a
> module, then yes, it's low priority, but if you care about efficient
> development, then the story is rather different.

Unloading i915 needs a very careful script, or you'll get a rather
bright fireworks. Afaik all other drm drivers (except maybe udl) are
the same. At least if you do anything fancy, where fancy includes:
fbdev emulation, prime buffer sharing, shared dma fences, or well
anything really that goes beyond a dummy boot splash. The lifetimes of
all these things are flat-out broken. udl tries to at least wrap some
duct-tape around it, and Noralf greatly improved the situation in the
past year at least.

So still not seeing what exactly the massive blocker here is.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation