Re: How to gracefully handle pci remove

Thanks.

Andrey

On 08/29/2018 11:07 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Andrey Grodzovsky
<Andrey.Grodzovsky@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Just another ping...

Daniel, Dave - maybe you could give some advise on that ?

P.S I tried with Intel card (i915) driver on 4.18.1 kernel to do the same to
get some reference point, but it just hanged.
drm_device hot-unplug is defacto unsolved. We've only just started to
fix the most obvious races around the refcounting of drm_device
it'self, see the work from Noralf Tronnes around drm_dev_get/put.

No one has even started to think about what it would take to correctly
refcount a full-blown memory manager to handle hotunplug. I'd expect
lots of nightmares. The real horror is that it's not just the
drm_device, but also lots of things we're exporting: dma_buf,
dma_fence, ... All of that must be handled one way or the other.

So expect your kernel to Oops when you unplug a device.

Wrt userspace handling this: Probably an even bigger question. No
idea, and will depend upon what userspace you're running.
-Daniel

Andrey