Re: TTM and AGP conflicts

On 01/06/2012 04:51 PM, James Simmons wrote:
You can achieve what you want by either adding a new domain so you would have
system, vram, agp, pcidma and object can be bound to one and only one. Or you
can hack your own agp ttm backend that could bind bo to agp or pci or
both at the same time depending on what you want to achieve.
The question is how does one know which domain you want in tt_create.
Currenty drivers are using there dev_priv but if you have have more than
one option available how does one choose? Would you be okay with passing
in a domain flag?

Well i agree that something would be usefull there so the driver know
which bind/unbind function it should use. Thomas i would prefer
passing the bo to the tt_create callback but a flag is the minimum we
need.
We can discuss this after the merge widow. Jerome your patch does fix a
regression whereas my proposal is a enhancement.

..Back from parental leave.

I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem correctly, but I assume the problem is that you receive a "bind" request for pages allocated out of the wrong DMA pool? Is that correct?

In that case we need to make both the following happen:
1) The backend should be required to supply a fallback that can bind anyway by allocating the correct page type and copy. 2) I'm OK with providing a hint to tt_create. IIRC we're passing bo::mem to tt_bind. Would it be ok to pass the same to tt_create?

/Thomas