Re: [drm_hwcomposer PATCH] Take Connection state into account. (v2)

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:40 AM, Mauro Rossi <issor.oruam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hey Mauro,
>>
>> Thanks for the patch! It builds and looks good to me, but I have some
>> suggestions however.
>>

>> On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 11:10 +0100, Mauro Rossi wrote:
>> > These changes avoid following logcat error on integrated and
>> > dedicated GPUs:
>> >
>> > ... 2245  2245 E hwc-drm-resources: Could not find a suitable
>> > encoder/crtc for display 2
>> > ... 2245  2245 E hwc-drm-resources: Failed CreateDisplayPipe 56 with
>> > -19
>> > ... 2245  2245 E hwcomposer-drm: Can't initialize Drm object -19
>>
>> It isn't quite clear clear which errors belong to which changes,
>> to make this patch a bit more bisectable it would be nice to see
>> independent commits created for each error.
>

> Hi Robert,
>
> In this case I honestly do not think that splitting would add too much
> value,
> original commit (v1) is  well documented in [1] and tackles with bug in
> drmresources.cpp
> which currently fails to find workable crtc -> encoder -> display output
> combination
> for integrated and dedicated GPUs. Besides that it was also adding
> DisplayPort drm mode connector type
>
> So changes in drmresources.cpp belong to solving "Could not find a suitable
> encoder/crtc for display X" problem,
> which is a show stopper for enabling mainline graphics in android-x86
>
> Other developers observed independently that the current implementation is
> "embedded oriented" and only checks the first display output,
> isn't it?
>
> The only change I did in drmconnector.cpp is to account for the additional
> external drm mode connectors types
> which were missing (DVID, DVII, VGA) . One question on my side: Do we need
> more?
>
> Besides these minor types lists discussions, I would propose you to check
> with Jim Bish if he should have the credit for the patch
> and review the coding of his changes.
>

>> > (v1) There are various places where we should be really taking
>> > connection
>> > state into account before querying the properties or assuming it
>> > as primary. This patch fixes them.
>> >
>> > BUG=None.
>> > TEST=System boots up and shows UI.
>> >
>> > (v1) Signed-off-by: Jim Bish <jim.bish@xxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > (v2) porting of original commit 76fb87e675 of android-ia master
>> > with additional external connector types (DisplayPort, DVID, DVII,
>> > VGA)
>> > Tested with i965 on Sandybridge and nouveau on GT120, GT610
>>
>> The commit message isn't really following the usual format. It doesn't
>> need to include a changelog (that is typically placed between the "---"
>> markers in the email instead),
>> and it is missing a signoff from the submitter (you).
>

> Sorry I don't have a signature, as usually my patches need sign-off from
> professionals,
> I'm a (crash test dummy) hobbyist..really :-)

That's not what S-o-b means.

> Maybe Rob Herring, Qiang Yu  or Chih-Wei could review and sign-off the
> proposed patch

The S-o-b is the Developer's Certificate of Origin[1]. It's tracking
the author(s) and vouching that the code has the appropriate license.
It can be the original author (Jim), modifier (you), and/or committer
(Robert or me).

Rob

[1] https://developercertificate.org/