Re: KMS cursor BO semantics

On 11/04/2011 03:36 PM, Ilija Hadzic wrote:

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:

Hi.

I have a question about the semantics of the DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CURSOR iotcl:

Some hardware (vmware's virtual in particular) may not be able to pick up the changes from a bo directly, since the cursor data is sent though the command stream. Hence we need a notification when the cursor image has changed.

Could we *require* that a cursor image change needs to be followed by an ioctl call with the flag
DRM_MODE_CURSOR_BO?

Thanks,
Thomas

FWIW, Acked-by: Ilija Hadzic <ihadzic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I have a few places where I could use such an ioctl.

Well, the idea was to reuse the DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CURSOR ictl that sets the cursor BO, and require that it is re-emitted once the cursor image has changed, since I guess that's what many X servers do anyway.

BTW, Thomas, in the above "since the cursor data is sent though the command stream", did you mean "since the cursor data is *not* sent though the command stream". If it was sent, through command stream, then CS ioctl would know when the cursor changes.

I meant the device interface, not the drm interface. So when we have a new cursor image, we need to collect the scanline data an send it through the device command stream. We don't export that possibility in the DRM interface.

My understanding is that the cursor data are mmap-ed letting userland poke it at will (so the case when an "hourglass" changes into "arrow" is particularly hard to know that it happened).

Yes. Hardware that scan out directly from the cursor BO don't really need to know, but we do.

-- Ilija

Thanks,
/Thomas