Re: drm/fb_helper: prevent some troubles waiting to happen

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Daniel Vetter wrote:

I've quickly checked current callsites of drm_fb_helper_init and I think
you can just kill the two arguments crtc_count and max_conn_count.

It is a usable functionality (i.e. allows the driver to select which connectors or CRTCs is fbcon allowed to bind to) and I see value in it. I am actually doing some work (not ready for public release yet, but will be in some relatively near future) that makes the use of this feature.

If you (and the rest of the community) would prefer to see the use case first before merging these two patches, I am perfectly fine with waiting (I'll resend later, after I show the use case), but I would not like to see the functionality killed only because drivers don't use it at present.

thanks,

Ilija