Re: drm_hwcomposer moving to fd.o

On 09/28/2017 10:35 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
On 09/28/2017 09:08 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 09:06:55AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
On 09/25/2017 04:44 AM, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:
Hey Robert, thank you for the reply.

Hey Chih-Wei,
On Fri, 2017-09-22 at 10:40 +0800, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:

The android-ia project has supported using drm_hwcomposer and an
alternative hwcomposer, so it would think there should be no issues.

By x86 GPUs, I meant i915(i965)/nouveau/radeon/amdgpu/virgl/vmwgfx.
Among these only virgl works with the current drm_hwcomposer.
All the others don't have a ready atomic mode-setting API to use it.
That's the problem which should be addressed I meant.

Most if not all of those drivers support the atomic updates API in
mainline (and have for a few releases by now).

amdgpu does not (but will once DC has landed, at least when you enable
DC). Radeon doesn't, and likely never will. Nouveau is atomic only for
nv50+.

Thank you for the clarification.

I have made test with kernel 4.13 +
gbm_grallc + drm_hwcomposer + mesa 17.1
on Android-x86 7.1.
Except virgl all others just failed as expected.

i915 (i965) was tested in Intel Broxton.
It's the best result. SurfaceFlinger runs and
bootanimation is shown. However, after boot
complete it only shown systemui + navbar with
black background. No app icons or mouse cursor
in the desktop. I guess the composition of 3+
layers has some problems.

Could be a bug in either drm_hwcomposer making assumptions that don't
hold, or i915 for implementing stuff wrongly. Would need someone to
debug. Given that we have products shipping on bxt using atomic (CrOS)
I'm leaining towards drm_hwcomposer making bad assumptions.

An easy way of making sure that the problem is with compositing with
overlays is applying this hack:

https://git.collabora.com/cgit/user/tomeu/drm_hwcomposer.git/commit/?h=android-etnaviv&id=dbe21cb52f602eef11bf5ac083691e5b2b0a35ba

It should also allow you to move on and test more stuff.

back when Android-IA used drm_hwcomposer there were some fixes made before things started to work, this is a shot in the dark but following commits might fix something (disclaimer, this is based on some old snapshot of drm_hwcomposer but one might be able to port relevant changes ...)

handle cursor separately:

https://github.com/android-ia/external-drm_hwcomposer/commit/f9029ff42f7f925a2e34aad1caa1481f72f347ac

introduce own planner for IA:

https://github.com/android-ia/external-drm_hwcomposer/commit/e5f32f820a93352c631b379d9721795c783fc4e7

vmwgfx also has issues on drm_hwcomposer
initialization. SurfaceFlinger didn't crashes but
no bootanimation. It seems just blocked.

If you want to test another driver in qemu, you can test Varad's patches
in https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/29006/ for atomic updates in
the Cirrus driver.

Regards,

Tomeu