Re: X.org EVoC Ideas

On 18.04.2017 17:48, Rob Clark wrote:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Raghav Jajodia
<jajodia.raghav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there

I am Raghav Jajodia, an Engineering student from India. While going through
the X.org foundation, I felt that X.org is a great community for new Open
Source developers. I am deeply interested in being a part of the community.
Although, while going through the GSoC and EVoC Ideas, I found that all the
ideas revolve around C, C++, QT or Compilers.

Working extensively on Web, Moile and Desktop applications, I have gained
good experience with Python, JS, PHP, Ruby etc. But I do not have any
experience with C/C++.

So, is not possible for a student to participate in EVoC if he doesn't have
any experience with Open source softwares built on C/C++. Are there any
project ideas using languages apart from C/C++ that a student can work on
for EVoC 17/18?

Hi, the only requirement regarding programming languages is that
"Applicants know their target programming language."..  there isn't
any requirement otherwise, but I think the fast majority are largely
C/C++.  There are bits of python here and there (piglit, for example..
possibly others that I don't know of).

From a quick look all of the suggested projects involve C and/or C++.
But that doesn't mean a candidate couldn't suggest a different project
that is not on the list.

The DriConf "replacement" project is biased towards Python, since current DriConf is written in Python ;-)

Cheers,
Nicolai

BR,
-R

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.