Re: Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases and EDID-based output grabs

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 10:27:31 -0700
Keith Packard <keithp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > we need some kind of a database to recognize HMDs in any case, right?
> > It would be best if the database was shared, so that everyone could
> > recognize all HMDs, at least as far as one can do that based on EDID.
>
> Yeah, I think you've got some good ideas here. Here are some questions
> which this raises:
>
>  * What should we do with an HMD which is in the database but for which
>    no application is installed on the host?

IMHO, if nothing is providing a picture intended for the HMD, the HMD
should be off. There is no use in showing an arbitrary image that does
not look right, is there?

For the rest of the questions I can't really say anything, except that
even if the database was just a bunch of files, you still need code to
access it, and probably something to ensure the entries are
well-formed, so that everyone will agree on how to parse them. One
should probably decide whether the database will only answer the
question "is it a HMD?" or can it provide other information as well.

Thanks,
pq