Re: GEM allocation for para-virtualized DRM driver

On 03/18/2017 04:50 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Oleksandr Andrushchenko
<andr2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    then TTM might be useful.
I was looking into it, but it seems to be an overkill in my case
And isn't it that GEM should be used for new drivers, not TTM?
Not really, it's just that (other than amdgpu which uses TTM) all of
the newer drivers have been unified memory.
Good to know, thank you
    A driver for a new GPU
that had vram of some sort should still use TTM.
our virtual GPU support is done on hypervisor level, so no changes to
existing GPU drivers. So, the only thing to care about is that the
buffers our DRM driver provides can be imported and used by that GPU
(there are other issues related to memory, e.g. if real GPU/firware can
see the memory of the guest, but this is another story)

jfwiw, it might be useful to have a look at the intel GVT stuff.. they
have recently (4.10) added para-virt support to i915
hm, thank you, I'll have a look at it (what is more when
I'm not using ARM I'm playing with x86+i915, so it can be handy)
BR,
-R