Re: imxdrm issue on Hummingboard with LVDS enabled

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 01:18:54PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's another issue with imxdrm.  I got this while trying to reproduce
> Dan's problem by enabling the lvds output using the patch below
> originally from Fabio, but updated a bit.  This doesn't occur if I leave
> LVDS disabled.
>
> The taint is due to the IMX capture modules from Steve, who chose to put
> his code in drivers/staging/media rather than drivers/media.  However,
> the last module to make the capture stuff active (imx-csi) which interfaces
> the drivers/gpu/ipu-v3 code with the capture code has not been loaded.
>
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 1049 at /home/rmk/git/linux-rmk/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_helper.c:1149 drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_vblanks+0x218/0x224
> [CRTC:29] vblank wait timed out

Can someone please explain to me how you go from something like
"[CRTC:29]" to something meaningful, such as identifying which
exact CRTC failed here?

Given that the ID numbers given out by DRM for individual components
come from the dev->mode_config.crtc_idr IDR, without knowing in
exact detail the precise registration order of these objects with
drm_mode_object_get(), printing "[CRTC:29]" is utterly meaningless -
it conveys zero useful information.  DRM might as well be printing
random numbers instead.

At least the pre-atomic DRM code printed crtc->name as well, which
would at least indicate which _CRTC_ in numeric order of registration
was the cause, which is slightly easier to guess which hardware CRTC
in question caused the problem.

Some consistency in DRM land would be nice...

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.