Re: [Bug/RFC] drm/imx: warning: vblank wait timed out

Hi Philipp,

thanks for your answer!

On 11/29/2016 05:38 PM, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 29.11.2016, 16:45 +0100 schrieb Christopher Spinrath:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to enable the second display pipeline of my imx6q based
>> Utilite Pro. I appended a devicetree patch to this email for reference.
>>
>> While it works perfectly on its own there occur kernel warnings (see
>> below) if both pipelines are connected. Furthermore, the machine becomes
>> almost unresponsive. Note that these warnings start to happen around the
>> time getty is started. No other userspace stuff (e.g. X11) is involved.
>>
>> I can make it work by adding the following hack to the devicetree:
>>
>> display-subsystem {
>> 	compatible = "fsl,imx-display-subsystem";
>> 	ports = <&ipu1_di0>, <&ipu2_di0>, <&ipu2_di1>, <&ipu1_di1>;
>> };
>>
>> (i.e. reordering the ports of the display-subsystem.)
>>
>> To my understanding the imx drm driver maps both outputs to ipu1 by
>> default which cannot handle the load.
>
> What is the load?

I meant the workload of an ipu when driving both outputs. My setup
consists of two displays set to the mode 1920x1200@60Hz.

>>  But using ipu1 and ipu2 for a
>> single output each works. Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to model
>> this restriction in the devicetree (in a sane way).
>
> You can sever the links between HDMI encoder mux and IPU1 display
> interfaces to keep it from being connected to IPU1 DI1:
>
> /delete-node/&ipu1_di0_hdmi;
> /delete-node/&hdmi_mux_0;
>
> /delete-node/&ipu1_di1_hdmi;
> /delete-node/&hdmi_mux_1;

Great! That works and is better than the display-subsystem workaround
(for the record the syntax is wrong; I had to use the node names not the
labels).

>> IMHO the driver should at least disable one of the outputs instead of
>> rendering the whole system unusable. Optimally, it should figure out a
>> correct mapping between outputs and ipu's itself.
>
> It should. The problem with the IPU limitations is that they are
> cross-crtc. The reference manual says that the maximum combined rate for
> both display interfaces in an IPU is 240 MP/s, so we'd need to take into
> account the pixel clocks of already enabled sibling crtcs when deciding
> whether a mode can be set.

So deleting the links between HDMI encoder mux and IPU1 in the
devicetree is the way to go/the preferred solution?

Cheers,
Christopher