Re: [RFC] Updated plane support v3

On 06/22/2011 03:09 AM, Rob Clark wrote:
But I'm at least under the impression that some of the other SoC's
have similar flexibility to use video planes as either primary or
overlay layers.  So I figure it is at least worth trying to handle
this in a more generic way if it doesn't cause too much ugliness to
KMS core.
Yes, our DSS have similar flexibility. That is, we don't have a special fullscreen framebuffer for the crtc. Instead we have generic "overlays" for all framebuffers that can be positioned anywhere and have any format, all on a background color of choice. So we are happy with a more generic approach where current implementation use a default plane for crtc fb. But it should not hog HW resources when not used. If a plane is used, I think it should be a "normal" plane that the user can control and enumerate.

/BR
/Marcus