Re: 3D support for Displaylink devices

Garry,

My first name is "PrasannaKumar". I will use my full name to prevent confusion :).

I want 3D acceleration for running Compiz or GNOME3 or KWin with composition. Currently windows Displaylink driver compresses and transfers pixel data where there is a change (only damaged area is transferred) to reduce the amount of data transfer. It is able to play HD video without dropping frames. So I think that 3D acceleration and video playback acceleration is possible. High end games cannot be played but the normal 3D and video operations should work without any issues. When displaylink introduces USB 3.0 devices the bandwidth issue will go away (I remember reading in Wikipedia that displaylink is working on a USB 3.0 product).

The displaylink framebuffer driver that comes with linux (udlfb) also compresses and transfers only the damaged region to conserve the USB bandwidth. Also CPU usage for doing the compression is very less making it ideal for mobile devices (may be an android mobile). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bLOc1qnMM&feature=player_embedded shows android mobile with displaylink device. When a mobile phone is able to power a high resolution graphics normal desktops and notebooks can do provide good quality output.

PrasannaKumar Muralidharan