Re: Virtual DMA channels and physical DMA engines

Hi Eric,

On 25-05-18, 09:17, Eric Pilmore (GigaIO) wrote:

In mailing lists, we do not top post, we reply inline and use text only mails,
also most of us use text based MUAs and 80char windows, so please wrap you
replies with 80 chars
I have reflown below for readability

> Yes, some kind of policy filter is precisely what I want. I was thinking about
> this last night and believe I have come up with a scheme that effectively does
> this via the channel resource alloc callback that occurs when the framework
> attempts to acquire a channel. Since control comes back to my driver at this
> stage I can determine if I really want to give up the specific channel the
> framework is trying to allocate. Obviously within my driver I know all of my
> DMA channels and devices that are available and in use. So, I can devise a
> policy in my driver and decide which channel is the next one to give out, and
> only when the framework requests that specific channel would my channel
> resource callback succeed. I will flesh this out some more.

Within a device this may work too

You can also use dma_request_channel() and then dma_filter_fn to filter this
out, but in that case channels will be DMA_PRIVATE.
--
~Vinod