Re: HP Pavilion 11 x360 lockups on shutdown

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 12:19 +0100, Scott Ashcroft wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 11:52 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

[]

> > commit c78b0830667a7e7c1f0ca65b76b33166a84806b3 "ACPI / LPSS: custom power domain for LPSS"
>
> I'm running 3.16-rc5 so that commit is there.
> I'm currently running the packaged kernel from Debian experimental as building anything was difficult until I figured out which module to blacklist.
> I'll be able to build kernels if we need to try some patches.

Good to hear this, but first one.

We used to have a bug when LPSS devices went back from suspend with
wrong settings. It should be fixed there. Apparently you have something
new we can't reproduce on the development boards.

> > > I'd like some advice on how this should be fixed:
> > >
> > > I see that some very similar chipsets would cause the
> > > i2c_designware-pci driver to be loaded where as mine loads the
> > > platform device.
> >
> > You laptop seems to use ACPI, meanwhile other PCI mode for some devices
> > inside (LPSS).

(*)

> > > So is the correct fix to get some PCI ids and settings added to the
> > > PCI driver?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you don't need this.
> I was pretty sure that was the case as I can't see a PCI device which would match but just wanted to check.

If I understood you correctly in (*), your laptop using ACPI, that
explains why you have platform driver loaded instead of PCI one.

> > > Or should I be looking to add a DMI based blacklist to stop the i2c
> > > bus being detected at all.

So, I'm a bit confused now. Which module you blacklisted eventually?
dw_dmac or i2c-designware-platform?

> > > Or is this just a bug in the dw_dmac module. If so how can I get any
> > > debug out of it during the rmmod?

I don't think you may get much from the rmmod stage.
Most of debug messages are for runtime: enabling them via
dw_dmac_core.dyndbg in kernel cmdline (if built-in), or modprobe
dw_dmac_core dyndbg. You have to have CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG=y in the
kernel configuration.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx>
Intel Finland Oy