Re: dm-init/dm-verity: Data device lookup failed

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 03:02:25PM +0200, Sven wrote:
>> Yea, the early lookup behavior is weird.  But it also dates back
>> a long time, so I'm not sure this changed, except for maybe timings?
>
> This might just be a timing change. I don't know. As mentioned in the
> initial email, this change looks relevant:
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230531125535.676098-19-hch@xxxxxx/

Well, only in terms of timing.  But as asked before, any chance
you could try to bisect the issue?

>> If you go down the device open route it should us the kernel open
>> routins and not just the not open ones.
>
> OK. Would you mind elaborating why?

Because the no open ones are competely internal.

>> That being said the right
>> fix is to not use this code at all, which was only shoe horned together
>> and doesn't have a chance to work solidly and just wait for the
>> device in userspace because we do have reliably udev events there.
>
> I cannot wait for user space because my root device is dm-verity-backed
> which is why I am using dm-init in the first place. And I am not using an
> initramfs.

But that's exactly the use case the initramfs is made for.

> Isn't the point of dm-init to be able to use e.g. dm-verity for
> the root device or did I misunderstand the docs?

It's sort of the point, but dm-init is a really broken concept and
should never have been merged as the whole early bdev lookup is a
hack and only works outside the core init code by accident.