Re: [GIT PULL] md-6.8 20240305

On 3/5/24 11:47 AM, Song Liu wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> Please consider pulling the following fixes for md-6.8 on top of your
> block-6.8 branch. This set fixes two issues:
>
> 1. dmraid regression since 6.7 kernels. This issue was initially
>    reported in [1]. This set of fix has been reviewed and tested by
>    md and dm folks.
>
> 2. raid5 hang since 6.7 kernel, reported in [2]. We haven't got a
>    better fix for this issue yet. This revert is a workaround. It has
>    been applied to 6.7 stable kernels [3], and proved to be affective.
>    We will look more into this issue for a better fix.
>
> We understand this is really last minute for the 6.8 release. But based
> on the data we have, these changes are safe and fix issues in the 6.8
> kernel.

There's just no way we're doing this much at this late in the process,
particularly when these are a) not introduced in the 6.8 cycle, and b)
we're not even a week away from the merge window. Doing them now for 6.8
would just further risk stability there, no matter how well it's tested,
and it won't really reduce the time to stable anyway. Hence no, please
add these to the 6.9 queue.

--
Jens Axboe