Re: [git pull] device mapper fixes for 6.8-rc6

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 at 09:46, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll let Ming speak, but I think the idea was to remove the padding
> at the end of the structure when embedded into the bio.

It's not horribly obvious if the beginning is aligned there either.

> Does __aligned also work on struct members?  If so we could add a
> __aligned(8) to bi_sector an get exactly what we want..

Hmm. I'm not sure that works. I think sizeof may always end up being
aligned to alignof (because otherwise arrays cannot work)

And looking at

    struct bio_integrity_payload {

there's odd padding both before _and_ after the struct bvec_iter due
to having three 16-bit fields in between.

So right now I think that packing ends up actually horrid. I don't see
any *reason* for that odd setup, but right now it might have actually
end up being 2-byte aligned with a two-byte padding hole at the end.

             Linus