Re: Stuck IOs with dm-integrity + md raid1 + dm-thin

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 8:24 AM Joe Thornber <thornber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       Hi Eric,
>
> Since integrity is below thin I would say this is likely a real issue
> with your hardware; probably causing thinp to head down the rarely used
> error path.

While I suppose this is possible, the problem presented itself on two
completely different NVMe mirror pairs, two NVMes of which are brand new.
The system survived a 24 hour memory test and we have not seen any machine
check exceptions or ECC errors, so is far as I can tell the hardware is
working as expected.

> It looks like something is holding the rw_semaphore that protects
> accesses to the thin_metadata. This could either be a process that is
> blocked holding it (in which case you should be able to see it).  Or a
> rarely used error path has omitted to release it.

Is any kernel tooling around finding what is holding the lock, or some
kind of tracing mechanism that I could trigger while rw_semaphore is
locked?

--
Eric Wheeler