Re: Does dm-zoned support buffered write?

On 5/11/23 20:41, Ming Lin wrote:
Hi list,

I have an application that needs to use buffered_io to access SMR disk
for good performance.

 From "ZBD Support Restrictions" at https://zonedstorage.io/docs/linux/overview
"
Direct IO Writes The kernel page cache does not guarantee that cached
dirty pages will be flushed to a block device in sequential sector
order. This can lead to unaligned write errors if an application uses
buffered writes to write to the sequential write required zones of a
device. To avoid this pitfall, applications that directly use a zoned
block device without a file system should always use direct I/O
operations to write to the sequential write required zones of a
host-managed disk (that is, they should issue write() system calls
with a block device "file open" that uses the O_DIRECT flag).
"

Raw zbd disk only supports direct_io.

Does dm-zoned support buffered io (without O_DIRECT)?

Yes. But I _think_ the above paragraph is ever so slightly outdated, as we've spent quite a lot of time fixing sequential writes (cf blk-zoned etc). So while dm-zoned is using bufferet writes there won't be any sequential write issues.

At least, I have not uncovered any of those during testing.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688