Re: Thin pool CoW latency

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 8:40 PM Demi Marie Obenour <demi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Like Eric, I am very concerned about CoW latency and throughput.  I
am almost certain that allocating new blocks and snapshot copy-on-write
are _the_ hot paths in Qubes OS.  In particular, I suspect that
workloads such as building an image in a throwaway VM or installing
packages onto a root volume that had just been shapshotted are dominated
by metadata operations, rather than by in-place updates.  I suspect that
frequently-snapshotted volumes will observe similar behavior in general.

Yes, provisioning and breaking sharing are relatively slow operations.  As discussed with Eric
I'm not intending to change how either of these operations is implemented. If the performance
profile is not suitable for your application your company can either do some work to improve it yourselves, or
select a different solution.

- Joe