Re: [announce] thin-provisioning-tools v1.0.0-rc1

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022, Joe Thornber wrote:
> We're pleased to announce the first release candidate of v1.0.0 of the
> thin-provisioning-tools (which also contains tools for dm-cache and
> dm-era).
>
> # Rust
>
> This is a complete rewrite of the tools in the Rust language.  This switch
> was made for three primary reasons:
>
> # thin_dump/restore retains snapshot sharing
>
> Another issue with previous versions of the tools is dumping and restoring
> thin metadata would have the effect of losing sharing of the metadata
> btrees for snapshots.  Meaning restored metadata often took up more space, and
> in some cases would exceed the 16G metadata limit.  This is no longer the case.

Hurrah! I've been looking forward to this for a long time...

Joe, I seem to remember you had you mentioned the possibility of adding
metadata range support for dm-thin in the Linux kernel once the Linux
kernel supported Rust. Now that it does, is this still on the roadmap?

Relatedly, we had an email conversation sometime about go porting the
dm-thin path to handle multi-queue behavior better than it does now. I
could not find the thread, but I seem to remember that you said this was
already applied to dm-cache.  I was considering attempting the port, but
it looked complicated so you suggested to wait for Rust in the kernel to
get metadata range support before looking at dm-thin.

...So if you have any commentary on the future of dm-thin with respect
to metadata range support, or dm-thin performance in general, that I would
be very curious about your roadmap and your plans.

Thanks again for all your great work on this.

-Eric