Re: Question about how to share dm-thin on multiple hosts

Dne 03. 11. 22 v 8:35 Zhiyong Ye napsal(a):
Hi all,

I am new to dm-devel. When using dm-thin via lvm, I found it difficult to share dm-thin on multiple hosts.

The background is that I want to implement live migration of VMs in the lvm + iSCSI environment, in which lvmlockd is used to coordinate access to shared storage. There are multiple hosts in the cluster using the same iSCSI connection, and the VMs running in this environment use thinlv volumes. But if want to live migrate the vm, it will be difficult since thinlv which from the same thin pool can only be exclusive active on one host.

I'm curious why the dm-thin doesn't support multi-host shared access, just like the dm-linear does. If I try to write a new dm-thin target or make some modifications based on the existing dm-thin target to support this feature, is it technically feasible?

dm-thin   is  tightly connected with thin-pool -  it's not standalone unit that can live 'without' thin-pool.

Thin-pool currently does NOT support  'shared/multihost' activation and must be activated exclusively on a single host together with all its thin volumes.

So at this moment there is no way you can activate thin-pool on multiple hosts without causing a serious metadata corruption to the thin-pool (as there will be 2 parallel unlocked stream updates).

There has been also implemented some basic detection to prevent 'multihost' activation and avoid damage to the metadata as you are not the first one who tries to activate thin-pool on more then one machine at a time.

There have been some ideas how to allow  'mutlihost' thin-pool support - but they are relatively very difficult to implement with low amount of actual users/customers - so they are somewhat queued for later time....

Meanwhile potential idea how to implement such thing might be to look at  blk-archive project (https://github.com/jthornber/blk-archive)

Regards

Zdenek