Re: setting up dmverity using device mapper IOCTLs

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 03:37:19PM +0000, Pra.. Dew.. wrote:
> Thank you Zdenek. We are developing a embedded system with very constrained memory/storage. So we are trying to see if we can combine utilities like dmsetup with other Rust code for managing storage in our embedded system, while only including the parts of dmsetup that we really need. Hence I am trying to figure out what is the best way here.

If you are working with Rust then you may want to evaluate the
devicemapper-rs library:

  https://github.com/stratis-storage/devicemapper-rs/

This is an implementation of a high level interface to the DM ioctls in
Rust - it obtains some constants from libdevmapper.h via bindgen but the
ioctl handling and header parsing is done natively.

It's been around for a while and is used by Stratis and some other
projects. There have been a few discussions around a new userspace DM
implementation in Rust with a somewhat different interface but nothing
has been written so far.

Regards,
Bryn.