Re: [git pull] Additional device mapper changes for 6.0

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 12:10 PM Mike Snitzer <snitzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All said: I think it worthwhile to merge these changes for 6.0, rather
> than hold until 6.1, now that we have confidence this _optional_ DM
> verity feature is working as expected. Please be aware there was a
> small linux-next merge fixup needed:
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220805125744.475531-1-broonie@xxxxxxxxxx/T/

Well, more importantly, the verity_target version numbers clash.

I used the newer "{1, 9, 0}" version number, but if you want it to be
"{1, 9, 1}" to show that it's a superset of the previous one, you
should do that yourself.

That said, the best option would be to remove version numbers
entirely. They are a completely broken concept as an ABI, and *never*
work.

Feature bitmasks work. Version numbers don't. Version numbers
fundamentally break when something is backported or any other
non-linearity happens.

Please don't use version numbers for ABI issues. Version numbers are
for human consumption, nothing more, and shouldn't be used for
anything that has semantics.

               Linus