Re: bioset_exit poison from dm_destroy

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 10:13:34AM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:
>> Please take the time to look at the code and save your judgement until
>> you do.  That said, I'm not in love with the complexity of how DM
>> handles bioset initialization.  But both you and Jens keep taking
>> shots at DM for doing things wrong without actually looking.
>
> I'm not taking shots.  I'm just saying we should kill this API.  In
> the worse case the caller can keep track of if a bioset is initialized,
> but in most cases we should be able to deduct it in a nicer way.

Yeah ditto, it's more an observation on needing something like
this_foo_was_initialized() is just a bad way to program it to begin
with. The caller should know this already, rather than us needing
functions and state in the struct to tell you about it.

>> DM uses bioset_init_from_src().  Yet you've both assumed double frees
>> and such (while not entirely wrong your glossing over the detail that
>> there is intervening reinitialization of DM's biosets between the
>> bioset_exit()s)
>
> And looking at the code, that use of bioset_init_from_src is completely
> broken.  It does not actually preallocated anything as intended by
> dm (maybe that isn't actually needed) but just uses the biosets in
> dm_md_mempools as an awkward way to carry parameters.  And completely
> loses bringing over the integrity allocations.  And no, this is not
> intended as a "cheap shot" against Jens who did that either..
>
> This is what I think should fix this, and will allow us to remove
> bioset_init_from_src which was a bad idea from the start:

Based on a quick look, seems good to me.

--
Jens Axboe