Re: dm-multipath - IO queue dispatch based on FPIN Congestion/Latency notifications.

Hello Martin,

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 10:16 +0000, Martin Wilck wrote:
On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 12:48 +1000, Erwin van Londen wrote:

Benjamin has added a marginal_path group(multipath marginal
pathgroups) in
the dm-multipath.
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/dm-devel/cover/1564763622-31752-1-git
-send-email-bmarzins@xxxxxxxxxx/

One of the intention of the Benjamin's patch (support for maginal
path) is
to support for the FPIN events we receive from fabric.
On receiving the fpin-li our intention was to  place all the paths
that
are affected into the marginal path group.
I think this should all be done in kernel space as we're talking sub-
millisecond timings here when it comes to fpins and the reaction time
expected. I may be wrong but I'll leave that up to you.

Sub-ms latency is impossible with this setup  (kernel -> broadcom FC
daemon -> multipathd -> kernel). It's only suitable for "fatal" FPINs
that would suggest taking a path offline on the time scale of minutes.
I suppose that would work well for LN FPINs, but not for the other
types.
I agree. I was hoping the FC drivers would be able to play a role in this and provide a direct hook into the FPIN notifications in such a way that userspace daemons would not be required and multipath would be able to play a direct role here.
When it comes to latency in a san we're indeed talking about sub-ms when it comes to impacting other parts of the fabrics having an immediate effect on multiple initiators and targets due to the shared nature of the beast.

On receiving the congestion notifications our intention is to
slowdown the
work load gradually from the host until it stops receiving the
congestion
notifications.
We need to validate the same how we can achieve the same of
decreasing the
workloads with the help of dm-multipath.
Would it be possible to piggyback on the service time path selector
in this when it pertains latency?

Not on service-time itself, but someone could write a new path selector
algorithm. IMO we'd still have the problem that this would be seen as a
layering violation. In the long run dm-mpath may need to add transport-
specific callbacks. But for a proof-of-concept, a selector algorithm
with layering violations would be ok, I believe.
Is that an offer of volunteering?? :-)

Regards
Martin