Re: dm: submit stacked requests in irq enabled context

+ Alasdair and dm-devel for awareness and inputs.

On 5/9/2017 12:26 PM, Neeraj Soni wrote:
Hi Keith/Snitzer,

I have recently started using kernel 4.4 on a Android device and ran Androbench to check storage read/write performance. I found that the Random Read (RR) and Random write(RW) performance with Full Disk Encryption is degraded compared to no Disk Encryption. Initially i thought this must the issue with the storage part used and i compared the performance of similar storage part on a device that was using Android with kernel 3.18. I found that with no Disk Encryption the performance was equivalent to the device which was using 4.4 but with Disk Encryption there was degradation in RR (~20%) and RW(10%).

I then tried to compare the changes that was brought in kernel 4.4 in Full Disk Encryption path. I came across the patch mentioned in subject and found that now a worker thread is scheduled in dm_request_fn() to process the requests instead of directly invoking map_request() as was in kernel 3.18.

I reverted this patch and found that the RR and RW performance was now closer to what we have without Disk Encryption. From the commit message i understand that this change is significant and will be required for blk-mq support but have you came across such degradation issue with your patch and do we have any fix for this degradation available?

BR,
Neeraj Soni,

    a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project